Here are a few best practices for taking photos as a hairstylist:
- Use good lighting: Good lighting is crucial for taking high-quality photos. Natural light is generally the best option, so try to take your photos near a window or outdoors. Avoid using flash, as it can create harsh shadows and wash out color.
- Experiment with angles: Try taking photos from different angles to show off your work. This might include close-up shots, overhead shots, or shots taken from the side.
- Use a tripod: Using a tripod can help you get steady, sharp photos, especially if you’re shooting in low light. It can also help you get consistent results if you’re taking multiple shots.
- Edit your photos: Editing your photos can help you correct any mistakes or enhance the overall look and feel of the image. Avoid using too many filters as that may affect the quality and pixelation of the image. There are many editing apps and software programs available that can help you crop, adjust the lighting and color, and add filters or effects. We recommend the Snapseed app. For more advanced edits, Lightroom or Photoshop are the holy grail.
- Use hashtags: When you post your photos on social media, be sure to include relevant hashtags to make them more discoverable. This can help you attract new clients and build your brand.
- Leverage Videos: Social media algorithms often prioritize shorter videos in the news feed, making it more likely that they will be seen by a wider audience. That doesn’t mean you stop taking great photos of your work as you’ll need it for your portfolio! You can still turn your photos into a video format. A video editing app we recommend is InShot.
By following these best practices, you can take high-quality photos that showcase your work as a hairstylist and help you grow your business.